Thursday, January 26, 2012

Dairy free YUMMO Zucchini loaf

** My Mom is doing well, yippee! We are waiting for the biopsy results but she is doing so great. Her lone lung is a star!**

I baked this bit of yumminess today. It's diary free AND has a secret ingredient...zucchini/ courgettes! The kids had no idea and loved every bite. I am always after ways of getting more veggies into my non-veggie eater son. And after dairy free yummy recipes for Blossom.



This recipe was in a book my Mom and Dad gave me for Christmas and it has a few diary free/ veggie baking ideas. Carrot cake/ carrot and pecan slice/ sweet potato cake and this one. And when you look at how much sugar a bowl of cereal has in it, this is a relatively healthy alternative (with secret veggies, have I mentioned that??)

Zucchini bread (from "Bake" by Rachel Allen)

400g (14oz) plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp grouind cloves
300g (11oz) castor sugar
100g (3 1/2 oz) demerara sugar- I used plain brown sugar
3 eggs, beaten
200ml (7fl oz) sunflower oil.
2 tsp vanilla extract- I used vanilla essence
380g (13oz) courgettes, grated with skin on
75g (3oz) chopped walnuts- I used pecans and chopped them super fine.

Two 13x23cm (5 x 9in) loaf tins

Preheat oven to 150d C (300d F) Butter/ oil and flour tins.
In a large bowl sift in the flour, salt, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and spices. Add both sugars and mix well.
Add the beaten eggs, oil, vanilla extract and grated courgettes to the dry ingredients and mix well until combined. Add the walnuts, mix in and divide between the two loaf tins.
Bake in oven for 1- 1 1/4 hours or until inserted skewer comes out clean. leave in tins to cool for 20 min and turn out onto a wire rack.
Serve on its own or toasted and buttered (with Olivani, our dairy free spread!)




Photobucket

2 comments:

Tea said...

Yay, about your mom! Thank you Lord!!!

Your zucchini bread sounds gooood!
Poor Blossom. Will she have to live without cheese her whole life? Cheese is so good. It would stink to be allergic to dairy.

jennohara said...

So glad that your mom is doing so well. I haven't stopped thinking of her!
I LOVE zucchini loaf. This one looks delicious. I'll have to try this. Thanks Sammy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...